June 8, 2012

A heartfelt retraction.

Yesterday when visiting my uncle I got in trouble. I wasn’t even inside the house when I was told he had a bone to pick with me. Immediately I realized what it was: I had forgotten to give him proper credit for having jumper cables in my car in Monday’s post. And as he then added, without him I wouldn’t even know what they are called. That might be true, but to be fair I got my driver’s license in Germany so would have only learned the German word. Starterkabel in case you wonder and should ever get stuck with an empty battery in Germany.
Though he declared that it was all too late and I just had to patiently sit in my dog box, I promised him I would print a retraction*. So here it goes: My wonderful uncle is not only responsible for my pretty decent driving skills as he taught me in Lesotho…
It's quite hard to find little me in this BIG car, but yup, there I am.
…he also taught me how to fish (not sure how that fits in with the cable part of the story, but I thought it noteworthy enough to mention and I really like the picture of me and the trout)...

…and he fetched me one night after a yoga class in Constantia and jump started my car as silly me had left the lights on and did not at the time have my own jumping cables. Before he grudgingly helped me out, he made me promise I get some cables immediately. Which I did two days later. Though Mark gets credit for actually buying them for me, because I wouldn’t even know where to look (Clicks maybe?) and he knew, if left to my own devices, I would never be able to fulfil my promise. 

Girls, I am telling you, if you don’t have a boyfriend/husband, an uncle like this really comes in handy and I love him dearly for it. Thank you, uncle, for making sure I have my own jumper cables!!

My favorite two men: Uncle left, my Dad right. Aren't they cute?
*Yes, I am aware that this is in fact not a proper retraction, more of an addition and an apology, but I just really like the word. It's makes it all sound like very important newspaper business and All the President's Men and such...

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...